Sunday, February 21, 2010

All the better to hear you my dear!







Well, the biggest news at our house is Owen's new hearing aids. He was fitted for pediatric hearing aids by our audiologist in early February, and Tim and I are still trying to figure them out...they are complicated little gadgets. That said, we are so grateful for them, because Owen is already showing more personality. He doesn't wear them when he sleeps, nurses or rides in the car, so really that only leaves a few hours per day that he wears them. But while he does, he is more alert, more social, and more talkative (coos and gurgles). He seems to really enjoy Daddy's guitar music, as well as some of his crinkly baby toys.

Drew chose the most inopportune time (as in, the day after Owen got his hearing aids) to climb out of his crib during nap time. I was in total shock when it happened. I was on the phone with one of Owen's doctors when I heard Drew's bedroom door open. "Um, excuse me... I think my son just escaped his crib." I put the phone down to find Drew trotting down the hallway. "Hi!" he said, waving proudly. I put him back in his crib and told him to stay in there until he finished his nap. It took about 3 minutes before he scaled the prison wall again. I found him reading books with no broken bones when I came back to his room to check on him.

Reluctantly, I asked Tim to please convert Drew's crib to the toddler bed, and kissed the baby corral -- er, crib -- good-bye that very evening. I thought I might cry, not because my firstborn is growing up too quickly, but because I was not looking forward to the ensuing power struggle. And there was a struggle, but fortunately it only lasted 3 days. Now Drew is great at staying in his crib and falling to sleep for his naps. But those first 3 days were not so fun.

3 comments:

  1. Clara had a rough go at staying in her bed. She's now on to a twin bed and stays in just fine. Short moments to pass through, but intensely challenging for the amount of time they occupy. I bet he loves it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay- Owen is the most adorable baby ever. Do you just want to kiss those cheeks non-stop? We have got to get together soon in person so I can see that little guy again. Love Drew and the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom gave me the link to your blog. So great to see your adorable little boys. And I'm glad to know the hearing aids have made such a positive difference for Owen. I just spent the weekend in Missouri holding my 2-week old great-nephew. I remember when Emily first climbed out of her crib--it's terrifying to see them just show up.

    ReplyDelete